Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dude get off my quinzhee!

You are most likely asking what in the world a quinzhee is. Well I'll tell ya... it's a fancy Alaskan word for a snow cave. Sorry if you got all excited thinking it was going to be something exponentially more exciting. Don't get me wrong, quinzhees are a blast, just look at that second picture.... that is the epitome of having a blast. That guy is having a blast... I mean just look at him. Who would have thought a quinzhee could have been so much fun. I don't think it would have been so much fun if I would have called it a snow cave... boring...

Quinzhee is in fact an Athabaskan (a large group of indigenous North Americans mostly in northwest Canada and Alaska) word. I would have made it bigger but we honestly don't have that much snow, we have enough just not a lot. I probably shouldn't complain.

Enjoy! If you have snow you should get in touch with your inner quinzhee. I highly recommend it.

Oh and according to Wikipedia the primary cause of quinzhee related injuries is from people climbing on ones quinzhee. Thus the title of this post... Dude get off my quinzhee!

2 comments:

  1. Understandable....its the Bonin Petrel effect....you dont want to get your burrow trampled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly... can you imagine how terrifying that much be to have some human foot smash your beautiful little burrow... I wonder what Bonins call their burrows...

    ReplyDelete